Dr. Jordan Engle and Mr. Phou Manivong

I used to believe, very strongly, that my superiors should be older than I was. That meant my doctor, my dentist, my pastor and my boss. 

Then a terrible thing happened. I got old. The people in charge of me either died or retired. Before I knew it, my seventh grade student Johnny Goering was performing my colonoscopy. It didn't matter that he was 45. He'd always be in the seventh grade.

The kids I used to teach at Central Catholic were now in positions of authority. Johnny G was my doctor, C.J. Stec was my dentist, and Jimmy Golka -  now the Bishop of Colorado Springs - heard my confession. Nothing seemed right about it until I experienced a startling epiphany. Just before a surgical procedure, I was dozing on a gurney when I felt a comforting hand on my own. I looked up to see Dr. John Goering smiling at me with such...compassion. 

"This wonderful boy is now my doctor," I realized in a kind of wonder. He would take care of me. The seismic shift settled, and just like that, all was as it should be.

So it doesn't matter that at Central Catholic my bosses are a couple of snot-nosed kids who could be my children. In fact, it's nice. 

Jordan Engle and Phou Manivong
Jordan Engle and Phou Manivong arrived at Central Catholic looking like high school students. The first year he took a group of kids to work at Husker Harvest Days, Dr. Engle remembers that a GICC father kindly patted him on the back and asked him what grade he was in. He blinked.

"Uh, I'm the principal," he said.

Mr. Manivong fared no better. Even though he was a husband and father, he still looked like a kid running with his cross country team. 

They're still young men, but they've grown confidently into their roles. Engle is Central Catholic's principal, and Manivong is the assistant principal. Although very different in demeanor and style, they're both vital and committed administrators with the energy and youth required for their demanding jobs. They're also good friends - and their friendship grew especially close this last year.

Phou, raised as a Buddhist by his devout mother, decided to convert to Catholicism last Easter. It wasn't an impulsive decision, nor was it an easy one. Phou's mom Kongmany Souvannasoth, who died just a year and a half ago, was Phou's only parent. Abandoned by her husband, she fled from Laos while pregnant with Phou and journeyed with other members of her family to the United States. Her Buddhist faith meant everything to her. 

Phou adored his strong mother. Although Buddhism was more of a cultural practice for him, it was very important to the other members of his family. It wasn't easy to leave his mother's faith, but for the last few years Phou had begun to feel a pull to the Catholic church. His beautiful wife Morganne introduced him to Christianity after they were married, and although she never tried to persuade him to change religions, a seed had been planted.

Then he was hired at Central Catholic as a business teacher 14 years ago. He loved the family atmosphere and his many positive relationships. 

"This place grows on you in so many ways," Phou said. As he attended Mass in the old gym every week, he was struck by something Father Jim Golka - now Bishop Jim Golka - said in a homily. "He said the Holy Spirit is always at work." The words jumped at Phou, and he knew he was desiring much more from his faith life. Still, a tremendous respect for his Buddhist faith posed a deep conflict. 

Resurrection Father V, Phou, Morganne
and Kalen
The Holy Spirit, however, resolved his dilemma once and for all. 

Central Catholic began its capital campaign kickoff a few years ago, and Phou remembers sitting beside Jenna Engle - Jordan's wife - as Jordan, Bishop William Dendinger, and Development Director Jolene Wojcik addressed the audience.

Jordan spoke about his own conversion as a young middle school boy. His divorced mother remarried, and Jordan's stepfather was a devout Catholic who introduced Jordan and his family to the church. Jordan attended Elgin Pope John School and discovered he was very drawn to the Catholic faith. After his parents' painful divorce and the many changes in his young life, at last he felt stability and a longing to grow closer to God. In fact, even as as 12-old-boy, he'd sometimes attend Mass by himself.

Bishop Dendinger credited his Catholic faith with helping him through the deaths of his parents when he was just a very young boy. And Jolene narrated the story of a funeral procession passing a Catholic school. All the children on the playground suddenly became still, bowed their heads in prayer, and solemnly waited for the procession to file by before resuming their play.

"As I was sitting beside Jenna listening to these stories," Phou said, "suddenly an ovewhelming feeling came over me. Tears streamed down my face."

Sponsor Annie Pilsl and
Morganne
He apologized to Jenna and quickly left the room. 

"It's exactly what Father Golka was describing that day in Mass," Phou says. "The Holy Spirit was at work."

He apologized to Jordan the next day who laughed and said, "Phou, you're the most Catholic non-Catholic I've ever known. It's time to talk to somebody."

After multiple discussions with Bishop Golka, Resurrection Church pastor Father Vijumon, and Jordan, Phou felt ready to take the leap. 

"One of the things that gave me peace of mind," Phou says, "was all the assurances that I could still be present for my extended family in the Buddhist faith."

Phou was not the only member of his immediate family to join the Catholic Church this last Easter. Morganne, his wife, and their sixth grade son Kalen were all in, too. Kalen, who loves his religion classes with Mrs. Kathy McFarland, was excited to become a Catholic. He chose as his sponsor Central Catholic junior George Pilsl, and Morganne asked George's mom Annie Pilsl to be her sponsor. 

Kalen with sponsor George
Pilsl
Phou felt no one could fill the role of his sponsor better than Jordan Engle, and Jordan was happy to comply.

"Phou is my brother," he said. "As a convert myself, I know how overwhelming it can be for a family to come into something as powerful and meaningful as a new church. Phou and his family did it so gracefully, and it's apparent now that they've found a home in our parish and our faith."

Sometimes I think the best Catholics are converts - especially young converts like Phou Manivong and Jordan Engle. Their zest and appreciation for the Church and the Eucharist reminds old cradle Catholics like me that we belong to something universal and beautiful and divine. I'm guilty of taking my faith for granted. And in a day and age when I grieve over priest shortages and shrinking church attendance, these two young men give me hope that the Catholic Church is alive and well.

Not only will they continue to grow in their faith, but they'll help another generation of kids at Central Catholic grow ever closer to God, too. 

It's a good thing to know when you're on the verge of being an old retiree and leaving the school you love. These lovely young people know what they're doing.

Grand Island Central Catholic is in great hands.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of the Last Semester

Loss

Goodbye, GICC