Mr. Lowry

 

James Lowry
James Lowry, with usual energy, is on his way out the door when I stop him. 

"Where are you going?" I say in my most commanding teacher's voice. 

He skids to a halt outside my classroom. "Panda Express!" he explains, to buy lunch for his student teacher Daniel, for his geography student Jaycie who was brave enough to sing the National Anthem, for 12th grader Damian who fills the Coke machines, and for the freshman kid who sheds weight for wrestling.

"Chinese food for a wrestler who's trying to cut weight?" I question.

Lowry pretends to consider this. "Probably defeats the purpose," he says, "but it'll make him happy."

This is typical James Lowry. He takes care of everybody in school - including "the Oldsters", as he calls my husband John, Marilyn Luther, Sharon Zavala, Keith Kester and me. Every day he makes his rounds and checks up on people in a sort of diligent rotation. Whether we're old, young, struggling or simply in need of a good chat, Lowry keeps his eye on everybody.

Coach Lowry, center, holding baby Laura with his state
championship girls' tennis team. Top from left: 
Nicole Flanders,Tara Pedersen, Heather Budd, K.C.
Cowgill, Megan Lachnit. Bottom row from left: Hana
Gomes, Kelli O'Connor, Sarah Stoddard,
Karen Wagoner.
I still think of him as a young man. It's the way he bursts into a room to say hello. It's the fervent energy on display in his classroom every day. It's the way he gives his students nicknames, teases them and gives them a deep sense of belonging. Lowry, however, is not a young man any more. Even though he sprints around the court like a kid himself when he's coaching tennis, James Lowry is middle-aged. I'm not sure when and how this happens. I still see Lowry as the kid who first comes to GICC in his 20's and takes the school by storm. He immediately engages every student, disarms us all with his exuberance and kindness, and by the end of the year marries his beautiful Kristy. 

One day during those early years, he comes into my classroom with even more exuberance than usual and stands in front of my desk. 

"What's up?" I say.

Kenny Howard, Tommy Howard, and Laura
Lowry
Lowry shoves his hands in his pockets, rocks on his heels, and tries to be nonchalant. "Just had a call from Kristy," he says. "Looks like she's pregnant."

He forgets to be nonchalant and grins from ear to ear.

"James!" I practically scream. "You're a dad? I can't believe it!"

He's a great dad, too. The summer after Laura is born, James secures her every day in a bicycle stroller. Completely content, she observes the world from her little kingdom behind her dad's bike. The two of them - father and baby daughter - ride miles together every day and often stop at our house. Our two young boys, Kenny and Tommy, adore Laura. Whenever James and Kristy need a night out, the boys and John and I are more than happy to babysit. Little Laura Lowry is the sweetest, most even-tempered, most adorable baby we've ever known.

Tommy sighs. "Why can't she be my little sister?" he says again and again during that wonderful summer of Laura.

Lowry fam - clowning at
Christmas

Tiny forthright Jenna, who always makes us laugh, and Marcus - a carbon copy of his dad - soon follow. By then Lowry is an expert at the "father" thing. Nothing, however, will ever be as monumental and miraculous as his first experience being a dad to Laura.

The years pass with bewildering speed, and one day John and I are amazed at the invitation we receive in the mail. Our little Laura Lowry, now in her 20's, is getting married. We're delighted to know her husband-to-be, GICC grad Logan Greenwalt. As far as John and I are concerned, Logan is the only boy in the world good enough for Laura Lowry.

The wedding reception is held at a local vineyard, and Laura is a vision in white. Her gorgeous mother Kristy could be her sister, and James is in his element delivering the father-of-the-bride speech to a laughing, happy bride and groom. How did it happen so fast? I wonder.

A few weeks ago, Mr. Lowry pops into my classroom.

"Can I talk to you about something in the hall?" he says.

Something's wrong, I worry, as I follow him nervously outside.

Coach Lowry after his
daughter Laura wins tennis
state championship
"It's Laura," he says grimly.

I gasp. "What? What's happened?"

Instead of responding, he takes his phone from his pocket and casually scrolls the screen. I wait. And wait.

"Lowry. You're killing me."

Infuriatingly, he holds up a finger. "Just a sec," he says.

Then he shows me the photo on his phone. It's a smiling Laura and Logan sitting on the floor with their big dog between them. The dog is wearing a scarf. "Big Brother," it says.

I gape at the phone.

"Are you kidding?" I grip Lowry's arm. "Is she... Are you going to be a grandpa?"

He grins.

It strikes us both at the same time. We've lived this moment before.

"Remember when I told you we were having Laura?" he says. "Seems only right you should know about this, too."

Logan, Laura and doggie
James Lowry's baby is having a baby. It's a nice full circle moment.

Plant yourself in one place long enough, and there's bound to be a few of those. Kenny and Tommy grow up laughing together about their favorite GICC moments, students grow up to send their own kids to your classroom, and young fathers grow up to be grandfathers. The generations expand and blur together, but it's the same loving connectedness that keeps us close and in each other's lives.

James Lowry has been a great friend to John and me these many years. 

He'll be the best grandfather ever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of the Last Semester

Loss

Goodbye, GICC